Friday, June 13, 2008

voice

I really, really love my job. My focus was on performing for so long, that it has been a really surprising blessing to discover that it is equally fulfilling and exciting to teach - and oftentimes more so. It invigorates me. There is nothing like that moment when something clicks with a student, and the light goes on and they just get it! And that look of happy surprise in their eyes when they do something really good that they have never done before. I love that!

But the best, the very best, is when a student begins to realize the depth of their own God given talent, and to trust this. It is a form of self-acceptance. To allow themselves to be unique. To go by how it feels rather than by sound. There is a spirit that settles on the room then, that is peaceful and motivating at the same time. So many times I feel the spirit teaching me things to teach, that are beyond my own capabilities or anything I learned in grad school.

One of my voice students is a fantastic woman named Connie Sokol. I had read her column in the paper long before she walked into my voice studio, and I have grown to appreciate her even more through working with her and her approach to learning and personal growth. Her voice has grown so much in the past 6 weeks, and she has had many-a-moment where we are both jumping up and down in her lessons because of the beautiful sounds coming out of her mouth!

She is the President of a company called LIFEChange, which is a personal life-coaching program helping women and families improve their quality of life. She forwarded me this column that she sends out to her clients because it talks about life lessons she has learned from our voice lessons. It really really made my day so I am going to post it.


LIFEChange
LIFEChange LIFETip

A Clear Vision
June 11, 2008


Doing it just for you!
Connie's PortraitHi Ladies,

I've been practicing a combined form of self-help and talent development that has just been for me, and me alone. It is---voice lessons. For some reason, the act of standing in front of a complete stranger and choking out sounds that cause pain to nearby dogs is quite healing for me.

Over the past six weeks I've learned many things about myself while trying to allow my "inner voice" to come out: to be vulnerable, be open, and just be. My fabulous voice teacher shared with me the following concept and it's helped me in many ways. As I tried to reach some very high notes (anything above a middle C for alto me is high), she gently shared that I was pushing it; that my higher voice muscles were there, that they could do their job if I would just allow them to start working. It would take a little bit for them to get used to the idea but they could do it, if I would just relax, trust, and be natural.

On my first tries, some sounds were akin to going through puberty. But over the weeks I've found it's true: as I've relaxed and allowed it not to sound beautiful from the start, the right muscles have started doing their job and are making some sweet music.

I'll let you apply this principle in your own life (i.e. allowing children and husbands to do what they are capable of doing without us doing it for them and "pushing" our agenda or way...or, you know, something like that). Meanwhile, I invite you to choose something in your life this summer (hobby, passion, past-time), that is your time alone, and that will help you softly and happily learn new layers about yourself. For me, it's made me peaceful and live in the present moment. And that's something to sing about.

All my best,
Connie

Connie Sokol
President
LIFEChange
info@lifechangeprogram.com
www.lifechangeprogram.com
801.787.4910

LIFEChange - Copyright (c) 2008
All Rights Reserved
www.lifechangeprogram.com

Connie at BYU Education Week - Aug 18-22, 2008
BYU Campus Education Week "The Journey of Lifelong Learning" August 18-22, 2008. Over 30,000 women attend! Connie's topics include marriage, parenting, fitness, and life balance. For more information or to register, click here http://ce.byu.edu/ed/edweek



Quick Links

Quote of the week

"You will find as you look back upon your life that the moments when you have truly lived are the moments when you have done things in the spirit of love."
Henry Drummond

Real LIFEQuestion

What bit of advice has helped you through difficult times?

Submit a response to info@lifechangeprogram.com

All experiences or answers must be true.


See Connie's article in Deseret News in Utah on the 2nd & 4th Mondays in the family section.

You can also check it out at www.DeseretNews.com

No comments: