Sunday, June 1, 2008

miss you

This week BYU is knocking down the Knight Mangum Building.

I was a 17 year old freshman when I auditioned for the Music Dance Theatre major in this building. I had practiced all summer for the audition and was absolutely scared out of my mind. I remember coming down to the lobby of the KMB after my audition and seeing my dad. He had unexpectedly flown to UT for a business trip, and seeing his face after that audition made me want to cry. It was a familiar face, which took my brain a split second to realize was my dad's face, and I just felt so relieved! He waited until the wee hours of the morning with me while they decided who to accept to the Major. We sat in KMB Rm 15 when they made the announcement, and I remember his one firm hand on my leg when my name was read.

I had half of my MDT classes in this building, including group belt lessons from Gayle up in Rm 165, where she would have us shout "it's my Barbie" in a little girl voice through the window at the "Y" on the mountain. (that was supposed to help us belt better...)

I auditioned for Young Ambassadors in this building. Someone told me my name was on the list and that I had made it! I ran to the KMB to see the list....and search for my name....only it wasn't there. I remember that heart-sinking feeling.

I remember looking at the list in the KMB Lobby the next year when my name was there.

I spent hours upon hours and most Saturdays in KMB 29 and KMB 15 for YA rehearsals.

The bathroom has smelled exactly the same way for 10 years; a combination of hand-soap, sweat, old plumbing, and those rough brown paper towels.
I love that smell.

I auditioned for Disney in this building, and didn't even get called back.

I auditioned for Disney (again) in this building, and did get a call back. And a job.

I remember my first day as a teacher in the KMB, and wondering how it was possible that after B'way auditions and NYU and Disney and Music Circus and Equity Card, I could still feel a lingering wave of intimidation when I walked past Randy Boothe's office.

And I felt intimidated when my first student walked into KMB 165, and I was supposed to teach her, and give her a grade.

But oh, it feels good to watch those students get better, and see them audition, and choose majors, and see their names on lists.

And today, when I snuck through the construction gates and the KMB looked like this,

and this
and this,
and this...
... I felt sad.

My new office is beautiful and new and soundproof but after teaching there for three weeks, I've found myself feeling like I was through with the vacation and ready to get back to my comfy KMB.

Don't forget me, ok, KMB? I'll remember you.

K.I.T.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

I hate the the KMB is gone. I loved that building. This makes me sad. thanks for your memoir!!
Love you!
Jen