Monday, June 16, 2008

Russians day 1


This is Ola.

The Russians are here! We've waited a year for this.

Try as I might, I will never ever be able to communicate the nuances of the day in this blog - I am almost hesitant to write this because it won't even come close to telling the whole story, but here I go.

This is Jula.

I love having them here. I was nervous yesterday I wouldn't have anything to say to them for a week, and now I am just nervous they will have to leave before I am ready to say good-bye. I am trying to soak up every minute.

Toured BYU today. But first, we delivered their laundry to them that we had done the night before (after convincing them they did not need to wash their clothes out in the sink and that our washers would not damage their clothing). They asked for an iron this a.m. and I offered to do it so they could get ready faster. They handed me a stack of ironing consisting of t-shirts, jeans, and a pair of sweat pants. I got a kick out of this since there is no way I would iron my sweatpants, and I thought it was so cute that they wanted to look their very best and took such good care of their things.

So at BYU, we found a harpist in the basement of the HFAC,
Showed them the moving bookshelves and the part of the library where you can study and flirt,
Katie took us to the nursing building and introduced us to "sam" the ugly but expensive medical dummy
Ola went for a ride on the hospital bed and tried on a hip and neck brace.
We went to the RB and joined in on part of an aerobics class, saw my office and had one of my students, and me, sing for them, watched some swimming/diving, watched some ballroom dancers practice, watched a raquetball game, volleyball and basketball class,
Went to Jamba Juice, who offered to donate 7 jambas for them,
And they drank Jambas while they went bowling:
Which was a first time experience. Svetlana asked me if I went bowling often with the other teachers here and if I was competitive in bowling. lol.


Then we went to Hickory Kist Deli on Center Street. The owner, Clint, is a fantastic guy who was so nice to make it special for the girls. He gave them sandwiches and a bag of homemade caramels. He brought out a bottle of old fashioned root beer for each of them, and they all took one sip and decided they did not like it. Also, they did not like ice in their drinks. Nothing cold, nothing spicy. Including the cinnamon bears we bought at the bookstore. "nyet!"



Then we went to Haven Salon, where my friend Christie and three other stylists gave the girls haircuts. The girls, including the leaders, loved this experience and kept looking at themselves in the mirror and trying not to smile. They were giggling and giddy and it was actually very touching to see how enthusiastic and appreciative they were. Christie asked "who first?" and 3 girls shot their hands in the air. They all kept saying "sank-you, sank-you"

Here's the final product group shot. Sank-you so much Christie and friends.

Then we went to a BBQ at the Stirland's house. This was great because they invited several friends who speak Russian, and it was so fun to have more translators around and really get to speak with the girls!

Xenia Stirland outdid herself on the BBQ - brisket, baked beans, funeral potatoes, salad, homemade ice-cream,


But what the girls couldn't get enough of was the watermelon, they went back for heaping plate after heaping plate. Fruit is such a treat for them. They were surprised that we would put raspberries in our salad - mixing savory and sweet.

Here's Mike at dinner, who served his mission in Russia, he was darling with the girls. It was fun to just listen to them talk with each other and have him translate what they were saying!


Mike actually met his wife at the MTC - they both served in Russia and were both teaching there. Here's Svetlana with Mike's adorable baby. (she's 41 - can you believe it?)



Plugged my i-pod into my car so the girls driving with me in my car could have something fun to do since I can't exactly carry on a conversation with them. They love rap music. I know, because the past 2 nights they've asked to get on the internet and watch rap music videos. They know American music much better than I do. So today in the car I searched my i-pod for something resembling rap. Wondered if the Dreamgirls soundtrack would do the trick. Kept searching. Found a Beyonce song on there and a random Gwen Stefani album, don't know how that got there...Andrew???? Anyway, I was glad i had it because I don't think my show-tunes would'a been cutting it today.

Got the bright idea to unroll the sunroof and it was a hit, they stuck their hands up and said woooo and when we got close to home I drove slow and let them stand up with heads sticking out the sunroof and my one Beyonce song blasting. Don't ever question my 'cool-factor' again. I'M A SURVIVE WHAT. But I do think there is going to be some competition to ride in my car tomorrow. Although, I don't know, maybe my mom's been hiding some p-diddy on me or something.

Here are some pictures of playing in the Stirlands yard after the BBQ - they have this fun merry-go-round and a few dogs:









Something is wrong with my eye. Stopped by the doctors office with my 3 beyonce-lovin' Russians in tow, and the nurse told me to put a hot washcloth on it. The girls are curious what I am doing and they have all looked at my eye, and told me the word for it in Russian, and then, oh my gosh this is so good, get ready for this one, tonight Ola got the translator and told me that she knew a remedy for my eye - get some ear wax out of my ear and then put it on my eye. I said eew, and laughed, and then was afraid I made her feel bad, so told her I would try the hot washcloth first and then try the earwax if that didn't work. Start praying that the hot washcloth works.


Jula, Ola, Alina, Oxana. Nastia was still getting haircut.

Yesterday when they got here I thought I would never keep their names straight, and now about 24 hours later I not only know their names, but am starting to get to know their individual personalities.

Little Cameron came over this morning before the Russians had woken up and said "I'm here to play with the Russians. Why aren't they out of bed? " I think that's how we all feel. I'm so excited for them to get out of bed tomorrow

And I wish I could speak Russian!

2 comments:

sis said...

Tara- Thanks for your blogging efforts. It'll be fun to track the girls exciting trip. I had a great time quilting with Oksana and we're looking forward to more pictures! Way to go! :)
~Sarah

The Fifes said...

Tara, you are such a beautiful person inside and out. Thank you for being you. I love your goodness. You make me a better person.