Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Russians Day 6

"What must it feel like to own a mountain?"
That's what Svetlana asked when she saw the Ranch. I thought that comment summed it up on so many levels...comparatively we have so much in this country that would be/is astonishing to much of the world.

I guess I just feel afraid I will forget and take it all for granted. Not recognize the blessings. Not help. I do take for granted. Without meaning to.

Before we left we asked what their favorite thing was and they all said the ranch.
They adored the 4 wheeling. I noticed how Americans smile and show teeth for pictures, where Russians stop the merriment and get very solemn looking for pics. And if they do smile, they definitely do not show teeth.

They thought the zip-line was fun ( at least to those adventurous enough to try it, which of course included Nastya)
Played games at the Cabin, this is Drew with Jula and Nastya, my cousin Rachel and her friend Tyler. (yes, he knows that his name is the same as our new nephew Tyler)Ate and chillaxed. I just said chillaxed.

Played with the nephews. Here's Katie's friend Mike playing with Cameron out by the creek/crik. Cameron found a wild wish to blow.
Here's crazy ball of energy Jakey, who at a young age discovered the most efficient way to get popcorn to your mouth. I am so proud of you, Jakey.
Here's the girls with beaded Cam and Jake, after we set off fireworks and played a rousing game of "sally walker." Svetlana German pulled out a full-on Russian folk dance for her "little -sally-walker-walking-down-the-street" trick. She is awesome.
Couldn't help feelin warm and fuzzy when I saw this sign. My grandpa used to always say touched you last when we said goodbye to him. We'd try to tag and run to sneak in the last touch But he'd even stick his hand in a moving car to touch you last, and he always won, no matter what. I feel like he's still winning, and still touching us last because of so many things he passed on, like a love for ice-cream and show-tunes, but I always feel particularly close to him when I go to the ranch. Felt grateful for the ranch, and for my grandparents and great grandparents, and it felt good to know that in a way, their legacy and hard work was now reaching not only across generations, but across oceans, when these Russian girls were able to come enjoy it.


I think Drew finally realized on the last day that he had a very captive audience with these girls. He made sure he rode right in between all five of them on the way home and ate up the attention. On the late drive home, Svetlana was in the car following mine. She saw camera flash going off in our car, and said "Tara must be taking pictures of Andrew among the flowers" (aka girls)

Yes I was. Because how can you resist documenting your 72nd time of listening to The Pussycat Dolls "Wichoo" in a week. Two hours up to the Ranch, two hours back, automatic repeat. I would try to switch it and Oksana would command "Tahra, buskot dol". I wasn't complaining because at least it wasn't rap. They don't speak no english, but they do be speakin' all the words to this song, be havin it memorize. Which is good, because now they can say the first English they learned was Ebonics. "Nobody gonna love me better, I'm gon' stick wichoo forever"
Here's Drew, with an exhausted flower on his shoulder:
Ola, you could not be cuter.

No comments: